Monday, February 22, 2010

Tabata Workouts



Tabata Protocol Workouts are awesome if you are short on time and want a fast fat blasting workout! Basically it's four minutes of pain for plenty of gain! It entails 20 seconds of high intensity training followed by 10 seconds rest, for a total of 4 minutes. (That's a total of 8 rounds). But, Tabata won't work for you if you don't put in maximum effort!

I've been utilising Tabata Body Weight Training for a few weeks now, and have seen some changes. They say that just 4 minutes of high intensity training will have your metabolism working overtime for hours! Of course, if you want to see real results, you also need to watch your diet.

The idea is to get your whole body involved, or at least the major muscle groups. But WARNING....... Tabatas are not for the weak hearted or the unconditioned. Beginners should start out slowly. I started with skipping rope, 20 seconds hard, 10 seconds rest and continued for a total of 4 minutes (that's 8 rounds) It's hard work, but skipping rope is a great Tabata workout! Very intense.

I've been using the Gymboss Interval Timer for my workouts. Easy to set and forget!

From there I progressed to full Push Ups, Squats, Burpees, Mountain Climbers, Lunges, etc. None of which were done with weights, only my own body weight. I tend to do Tabata two to three times a week, 4 - 5 different exercises, a total of 16 - 20 minutes workout! And yeah, I've noticed some changes. All I need to do now is watch my diet and it will all fall into place. It's a great aerobic and anaerobic workout.

Sadly, diet will always be an obstacle for me. I love my food far too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment