Friday, February 26, 2010

Oxfam Trailwalker


In April of 2010, I am taking part in Oxfam TRAILWALKER - the worlds greatest team endurance event. Our challenge is to walk a 100 km trail from Wheelers Hill to Wesburn Park (near Warburton) in less than 48 hours. We have also pledged to raise at least $3,000 to help overcome poverty and suffering around the world.

Oxfam TRAILWALKER is all about teamwork. It's a great way for friends or colleagues to bond and develop team spirit. Teams must start together, go through each checkpoint together, and finish together. They also have to train and fundraise together. While it's considered a very challenging event, you don't need to be a marathon runner or a professional athlete to take part. With the right training, mental attitude and a good support crew, just about anyone can do it. The Oxfam TRAILWALKER motto is "Commit, Endure, Achieve."

So, my "training" has been a little slow. I have yet to hike with my entire team. Logistics just aren't working for me. Everyone else on the team has a 9 - 5 Monday to Friday job, I don't. I am a shift worker and the pressure has been high to remain committed. But, believe me, I am committed and have enjoyed my walks whether with another Team member or alone. I have done mainly flat work but when I have done hills, I believe I've done very well; until the pain kicks in!

This past week I completed a 13 km hike, all uphill! Intense and fun at the same time. The company I was with was great and entertaining. Alas, I had a nasty blister on my heel the next day. So I am learning all of the difficulties I am likely to face before the big day!

As part of our team commitment we also fundraise together. So I am looking for sponsorship and would love it if anyone out there would like to sponsor our team! Honestly, no amount is too small!

Please visit our team page at:
http://www2.oxfam.org.au/trailwalker/melbourne/team/272

Has anyone else out there taken part in the Oxfam TRAILWALK in the past? I would love to hear of your experiences.

3 comments:

  1. Dee. Interesting post and it's great to see that you are committed. I believe you are in a unique position to fully take advantage of training opportunities not presented to us 9-5'er job types. You have four whole days during a week to train, we don't and we can only train on selected weekends. At the end of the day, it's about making the most of every opportunity and been proactive to seize these moments. So if I was in your position that is exactly what I would be doing. Make the logistics work for you. You are the one that is in control. Oxfam is a great team event and it is getting more popular and there are plenty of people who would be grateful for the opportunity to participate. I certainly am. So let's make the most of this fantastic opportunity. 6 weeks or so to go and counting... And let's have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Shae, but make that 3 whole days to train, considering one is wasted really catching up on sleep after night shift! Even if I get up early, I simply haven't got the energy to do much.

    Anyway, I did a nice long walk (on the flat) today, just under 25kms. And I think I've pulled up rather well, if not a bit tired.....At least I have no blisters this time. I wore my Nike trail runners. My feet tend to get a bit hot in them, but they will be a pair that I will definitely take with me!

    I am absolutely looking forward to the big day......

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete