Sunday, February 7, 2010

My Health & Fitness Journey



Today as I was out jogging (in 34 Degree heat, mind you) it gave me some inspiration for this Blog. I have always been conscious of my health, tried to keep up my fitness when confronted with numerous obstacles, but in recent times I've found it to be a real challenge. I've been plagued with injury and illness off and on for the last few years, enough for me to "give up" and stop taking care of myself, when taking care of myself should be priority!

I recently took up a 12 week challenge. I wasn't interested in completing in those ridiculous competitions, I'm not one to advertise. I mean, I sure don't want to look like those women who compete, women who need to get boob jobs and have their hair and nails done to look feminine!

I'm more interested in being healthy for my own personal reasons. Members of my family have health issues, which I want to avoid. I want to be strong, and not suffer from the effects of colds, flu and exhaustion. I don't want to suffer from Diabetes, High Cholesterol, Heart Attack, I mean, it's time I faced the truth. I'm no longer a spring chicken! I'm also a shift worker, so all of this is extremely challenging!

So this Blog is dedicated to my Health & Fitness Journey. But it will be a little different as I am no gym tragic (I HATE the gym). It will be more about what I can do without paying for a gym membership or personal trainer. I will be training myself, getting inspiration from a variety of places!

I hope you will enjoy (or suffer as the case may be) this journey with me I!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new blog - what a great idea.

    I'm so impressed with the way you've stuck at this health and fitness thing (not that I didn't think you could - just lots of people don't!). Envious even - I wish I had the discipline and commitment I once had for regular exercise (well, if you don't count the 40-60 kms I walk each week...I'm hardly a sloth, but I always feel better when I'm$$ going to the gym as well).

    I'm even feeling a little inspired now to get back to the gym (it works for me - I have a very high boredom threshold for some things), although my main health focus at the moment is getting that bloody allergy diet out of the way.

    Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Frisky, thanks for visiting. Yeah, even I'm surprised that I've become so motivated. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I've found something I enjoy! Going to the gym was never an enjoyable experience for me, I'd be all gung-ho for a few weeks, then I would lose all interest. These Body Weight workouts are hard work and I enjoy (and rue) every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Danae. Hope you keep going with the blog and get extremely healthy in the process. I'm walking and using weights at the moment to get back to my usually thinner self of a decade ago, will see how that pans out. Stick with it, you've put it out there now, no going back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up April. It may not be easy and it's not meant to be. But if you make it a part of your every day lifestyle, it will become a habit (a good one!)

    :)

    ReplyDelete