Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Clean Eating


I am just like you, I love my food, I HATE the idea of giving up my favourite treats. But I've come to realise that I simply can't continue to eat the crap I have been eating in recent years, without it catching up with me in some form.

I have become more concerned about Diabetes, Cholesterol, Weight Gain (until recently this was a major concern). So I decided it was time to change a few things within my diet.

I'm a shift worker so learning what to eat and when has been a challenge. But I feel as though I have finally made some headway. I've decided to make a conscious effort to eat food straight from the ground or the tree or the animal. I've cut back on processed "foods" and packaged "foods" and am beginning to learn how to cook and prepare meals from scratch.

Believe me, it's been a challenge. I've never been much of a cook. Mainly because I found no satisfaction or enjoyment cooking just for me and having so many left overs in the fridge. I despise eating the same thing for days on end. But, soon I will be moving in with my fella and the cooking of healthy, nutritious and tasty meals is high on my list of priorities. We don't lead the healthiest lifestyle when we are together and that is something I hope will change! (Sorry hun!)

In my current location I have access to some wonderful grocery stores. You know, the little independently owned stores that used to be everywhere before the major Supermarkets took over?! I love shopping in these stores. The food seems fresher, tastes better and was probably grown nearby, NOT miles away...... And I'm sure it hasn't been kept in storage for months on end before hitting the shelves.

Have you noticed? The fruit and veges in the Supermarkets look great, but have very little taste? No wonder people have come to depend on pre packaged foods. Besides the fact, people are so busy these days, that they rarely have time to spend preparing and cooking meals from scratch. I am one of those people, but I hope that I can find the time to prepare healthy, nutritious meals. I certainly plan to try!

So the plan is to find good, tasty and nutritious recipes to play with. Wish me luck!

This doesn't mean that I'm giving up my chocolate for good. Oh no! I will still enjoy my chocolate, but in moderation! (But I might have to hide it from my boyfriend)

No comments:

Post a Comment