Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February - Cutting Out Sugar

My Challenge for the month of February is to reduce my Sugar intake. I know how Sugar can be bad for you health. And, it's time I took my health seriously!


Fact: Sugar tastes great and sweetened foods tend to make us overeat.


Fact: Simple Sugars can contribute to and aggravate numerous health problems; eg nervous disorders, diabetes, heart disease, gallstones, hypertension, and arthritis.


Fact: Sugar raises Insulin Levels. This inhibits the release of growth hormones, which in turn depresses the immune system. 


Fact: Sugar can contribute to weight gain and obesity. 


Fact: Sugar can contribute to hyperactivity, anxiety, depression, and the list goes on.


I have been concerned about the chance that I may end up with Type 2 Diabetes. My brother was diagnosed a few years ago. I eat well most of the time, but I find that shift work can really throw a spanner into any healthy eating plans I have. 


Thankfully I am not a massive sweets or dessert person. I do love chocolate so I will have to cut down or eliminate that :( Ignoring the sweets, lollies etc that others I work with constantly consume makes this a real challenge. I will say NO from now on!



No comments:

Post a Comment