Friday, December 3, 2010

The Benefits Of Yoga

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Yoga. I'd practiced it off and on for many years but really haven't practiced much for the last couple of years.

Lo and behold, I hurt my back, yet again! I'd been working out quite happily in the gym, squats, dead lifts, lunges etc with no problems. The after workout pain was that good pain you get, you know, when you can feel you've had a good workout and can enjoy those benefits coursing through your muscles?

I'd done all the right things, not lifted too heavy, ensured I warmed up and cooled down, had a rest day in between.....

Then, 3 days ago, as I bent down to look in the fridge, BAM! I ended up on the floor in agony! FFS! Beats me what I did, but the last 3 days have been a nightmare. The day after I ended up in pain I thought, hmmm gentle exercise is the way to go, so went for a walk. A walk that should have normally taken me 10 minutes (to the local supermarket) took me 45 minutes! I was crying when I got there! So I waved down a taxi to take me home! (I am sooo ashamed)

My usual 5 minute walk to work this morning took me 15 minutes! So when I got home I dug out my Yoga Mat and took it out onto the terrace and performed the basic Sun Salutation. I could not do the Upward Facing Dog without pain so the Low Cobra did the trick!! I had absolutely no problem with any of the other moves and was pleasantly surprised at my flexibility. I'm not as flexible as I once was but am still above the average.

Needless to say, Yoga is going to become a regular in my fitness routine...... I miss it, I love it and I think I need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment