Monday, September 24, 2012

My Home Gym - Updated!

My Home Gym is always changing. As a shift worker, I find it increasingly difficult to commit to regular classes/sessions at a gym etc. Working out at home is easier and convenient. At least it means I have no excuse for NOT working out!

- Kettlebell - I've had "Brutus" for a few months now and really enjoy my workouts with him! Brutus is 8 kg which is a decent weight for beginners/intermediates. Suitable for swings, shoulder presses, snatches etc. But I will need to upgrade to a heavier one soon.

- Tennis Ball. A great tool for loosening up my Piriformis Muscle which is an ongoing problem for me. Rolling around on the tennis ball on the floor is incredibly painful sometimes but releases the knots in my Gluteals.



- Sandbag. I am loving my sandbag, especially if I can't make it to the gym for weight training. This is ideal for those home workouts. Fill with sand, kitty litter or gravel for a great full body workout. Suitable for squats, lunges etc. My plan is to tuck the empty bag into my backpack, jump on my bicycle, ride to the beach and fill my sandbag for a workout on the beach. Bring on the sunny weather!


- Foam Roller. Wow, I love my foam roller. It is an amazing tool for a warm up, a cool down and anything in between. It gets into all of the muscles and can hurt like hell! But I still swear by it for recovery. It's one of the best tools I have ever discovered!

- Medicine Ball. Awesome for planks, push ups and throwing against a wall. A Medicine Ball can do wonders for your core.

- Skipping Rope. I LOVE my skipping rope even more so now that I have a massive terrace to work out on. I love being outside in the sun and jumping my way to health! I'm quite proficient now at Double Unders! (passing the rope beneath your feet twice between ground contact).


- Fit Ball. I had a Fit Ball in the past but haven't had one for a while. I recently won one in a competition and can't wait to make use of it!
- Chin Up Bar. I recently bought my second chin up bar and have it set up in the doorway of the spare bedroom. I still have a LOT of work to do to be able to perform true chin ups let along pull ups, but at least I now have a chance to practice!

- Power Bands. One of the best items that can be packed away for travel. I use mine to assist with pull ups. Since injuring my collar bone and shoulder in a biking accident, these guys are helping me to increase my upper body strength. 



-Yoga Mat. Vital for my Yoga practice and stretches. I also love my mat for head-stand practice (I have a sensitive scull!)

There are still some items I would love to add to my home gym, a Box so I can perform Box Jumps, Elevated Lunges etc among others. I have an awesome outdoor space (a massive terrace which is unusual for a city apartment) that I love making use of in the summer months!

Speaking of which, I so CANNOT WAIT for summer! BRING IT ON!!

3 comments:

  1. How do you use the tennis ball? I have some issues in that area as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use it to get deep into my shoulder or butt. For the shoulder lay on the floor on your back. I put all of my body weight onto it, but that may be too much initially. I find it much better than a massage :) For the gluteals, same thing but with even less pressure. It will hurt like hell initially!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought some tennis balls ages ago for this purpose but it hurt and I gave up. What a sook! Will have another go. I've been having a monthly remedial massage, but something in between would be good.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete