Thursday, August 12, 2010

Perfecting the Pistol

One exercise I honestly thought I would be able to do without too much trouble is the Pistol, more commonly described as a One-Legged or Single Leg Squat. When I've seen others do it, they make it look so easy. Just stand on one leg with the other in front of you and parallel to the floor, and squat down! Too easy!

At least I thought it would be easy until I tried it myself! I could only get half way down before my leg would give way and I'd end up on my arse!

The Pistol is an awesome way to test your strength and balance.

I became determined to master the Pistol so began looking for ways to improve. Keeping my leg out in front seemed to make it so much harder ........

Until I realised, keeping my other leg at a lower angle seemed to make it a touch easier to perform this movement and to perfect it.

I began by standing on a weights bench at a Smith Machine. I had the bar at waist level so that I could use it for balance and also if I need assistance standing back up. Then with my leg hanging naturally beside me I attempted the Pistol.

Yay, I managed it! Five on each leg. And yeah, my butt hurt for days! After a couple of weeks I find I am able to get lower in the squat and hopefully will soon be able to attempt it on the ground without help.

I can certainly feel it in my butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment