Saturday, May 8, 2010

How Do You Help Someone who Doesn't Want To Be Helped?

I have a wonderful girlfirend who I love to bits. Sadly, I rarely see her these days as she lives in my home town and I now live in the city.

She has been a very, very close friend for many years, since High School. (that's about 27 years!)

She is someone I love and respect, but she is not the same person I was drawn to as the new kid in school. I'll call her "Smiley". Smiley was the girl everyone loved. She was the person that you couldn't help but to be drawn to, like a moth to the flame! She ALWAYS had a smile on her face, she knew EVERYONE! And everyone loved her! And I'm sure they still do, I know I do. But sadly she isn't the same person.

I only see Smiley a couple of times a year. She is so busy with her business, 3 kids, her marriage, and, sadly her personal issues...... Smiley needs my help and I simply am not able to help her! Damn though, I have tried.

Smiley has been suffering for many years from weight gain, depression and illness. She works too hard, looks after a large family and, I'm sure she feels like she gets no thanks from her family...... she totally deserves a lot of hugs and thanks for her hard work.

Sadly though, Smiley has no time to herself. She is often depressed and unable to drag herself out of the huge hole she has dug for herself by being so accessable to everyone and not looking out for number one!

I have tried to help, I've even tried the "tough love" scenario. She hasn't returned my last email, so clearly that didn't work the way I wanted.

We both have a mutual friend who is very successful in the Health and Fitness Industry. Our friend has offered to help her out but sadly, Smiley isn't interested. She claims she has "no time" etc.

I don't believe that there can be "no time" to take care of number one. You only have one body and one life. Treat it as such!

To add to this, Smiley has been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Surely that would be enough to make the necessary changes to your diet and lifestyle? My brother was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and since I was made aware I have been a lot more conscious of my health.

I've recently had my Blood Sugar checked (it was borderline, even though I had been very careful for many weeks before the test) My colesterol was not considered worth testing as the last test was excellent!

Being accountable for our own health is entirely up to yourself, NOT someone else. No one can fix your health issues if you're not committed to helping yourself!

3 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head with that last paragraph. Only she can help herself, when she is ready to help herself. Sometimes you can't even lead a horse to water.

    You're a good friend by being there and trying to help her. I guess you can only keep doing that and hoping for the best.

    She needs to see a counsellor, but I suppose she'd have no time for that either. I agree that 'no time' is a handy excuse but it's rarely the case. Rejigging her life to make more time for herself is essential not only for her own health and wellbeing but because she has so many people relying on her. She needs to take better care of herself for her family even if she's not going to do it for herself.

    I hope things get better for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jayne, but apparently she sees a councellor. And it seems that she is no longer speaking to me. I sent her an email telling her how worried I was etc. I also said in the email that I was tired of her calling me yet never having anything good to say, and that she needs to take control. I said that I don't want to hear any more moaning from her......She never replied! A bit harsh probably :(

    But I am also tired of having such negative people in my life....It only makes me mad and depressed and I don't need that or have time for it. I WON'T make time for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope things get better for her too!

    ReplyDelete