Friday, August 5, 2011

August Challenge - Basic Gymnastics Moves

One thing I remember so vividly from my childhood was how much I LOVED gymnastics. I was lucky enough to be at a school where you could take elective classes such as Art, Sport etc. My choice EVERY term was Gymnastics. We had an awesome teacher (Jacko) and it was so much fun!

Sadly at the age of about 13 we moved towns, which meant a new school, and NO gymnastics. So I basically gave it up!

Fast forward almost 30 years (yes, I am approaching my 43rd birthday later this year). I have discovered Gold Medal Bodies! They are set to release their F1 Program which includes basic gymnastic floor skills.

So I have been following along and I cannot believe I can already do the following:

Tripod (Basic Headstand)
Tripod Extensions (Bent knee then Straddle, not so good at the Pike)
Cartwheel
Crow
Handstand (against a wall at this stage)

Little did I realise how heavily the Abdominals are incorporated in ALL of these moves. I have very weak Abs, of course I am working on strengthening them. Yeah, clearly I have forgotten so much from my previous training!

I am still pleasantly surprised that I can do ANY of these moves. I began only a week ago. I could immediately do the cartwheel, but the Tripod Headstand truly surprised me! I can do the Bent Knee, almost do the Pike, the Straddle was attempted and was successful only once! And I can even do the Crow (I have the bruises on my arms to prove it!)

Originally the wall was my crutch for the Tripod, I can now do this without the wall!

My challenge this month obviously is to continue improving with each of these moves. I have to say, I am so excited about this. It has been so much fun so far (and extremely challenging!)

And I am truly looking forward to the release of F1 in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment